Friday, January 9, 2009

"Y' A Sale


Have you ever felt like you were unable to think when trying to name something? The older I get, the worse it gets! So I thought I would share in my fun...

Since the day I fired the soap making back up I have known that I was going to hold an odds and ends sale.

For a while I called it an Ugly Soap Sale. I still tend to like the name but it came with several connotations that I was not pleased with. First, the soaps are not necessarily ugly. However, the name does reflect my goofy sense of humor! The other problems were associated with limitations on the website.

The problem with my online store is that it lists the soaps in alphabetical order. You cannot point directly to one single product without doing a search. I did not want deeply discounted soaps mixed in with regularly priced soaps. I wanted a back room, back shelf sort of clearance "rack," just like you would find in a retail shop.

The thoughts continued...this morning I decided to add either an X, Y, or Z to the name of the discounted soaps (to throw the discounted names back). I thumbed through the dictionary, looking for a suitable soap/sale sort of name that begins with X, Y, or Z? No luck! I walked away, again. Mind you, I have been contemplating this name for the last few weeks. :)

As I took my male boxer outside for a break this morning, struggling with him to NOT eat all of the snow nature put in front of him, the light bulb in my head came on. I could see my website's first page with a new statement added, "Y" A Sale? Got it! A nice catchy phrase, linking to The Soap Store, with an explanation to why a sale!

I can see it now, in the discount section: Y Lavender Goat Milk Soap? Because this bar only weighs 3.5 ounces! But it really is great soap!

I love challenges...and I certainly love solving them. Ha! Save the brain...is there a lotion to fix that, keep the brain working? Just kidding.

By the way, the answer to "Y" A Sale? is...soaps that are smaller than acceptable weight (through shrinkage and mis-cuts), soaps that are out of season (such as the holiday scented one in this photo), or soaps that didn't sell all that well.

Stay warm, dry...and drop a comment when you can. I love them! They keep me in check. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat name;) You be careful out in this weather Mary, it's a blizzard out there:-P

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

the "Y" is clever.

My soaps and lotions from you are awesome. thank you very much.

KathyB. said...

I have times like this. I need to come up with a name, or title, or...and the puzzle of this challenge stays with me for days. Often I hit upon the right name but for some reason or other it is impractical. Fitting, but impractical...then more days and days of thinking. Guess this keeps the brain cells working. That's what I tell myself anyway.

Mary Humphrey said...

Amy, are you covered in ice today? We are! I barely managed the walk to the barn a bit ago, on foot. :)

Joanna, I am so glad you like the products! Thanks for your comment on the "Y."

Kathy, I keep telling myself those things too. :) I guess if we keep using the old noggin' it will work that much better for us, or at least a bit longer for us! Something like that...:)

Anonymous said...

Mary,

We're covered in snow pretty much though and it is still coming down! That is one reason we go with themes each year that we have goat kids, it is much easier doing it this way;)

Anonymous said...

Actually we're getting a mixture of rain and snow though.

Hidden Brook Farm said...

Comeing up with names is not an easy task for me either. Y A Sale is cute!