Friday, April 3, 2009

The Nature Of A Goat


To say that I am fond of goats is rather an understatement. I find goats to be very interesting.

A goat can be comical, stubborn, affectionate (yes, they can), smart, sneaky and the list goes on.

I can think of no other animal that can provide friendship, milk, and even meat, as well as a goat can.

This particular doe, Cammille, a reverse spotted nubian, is one that acts like she has a mind of her own (she does), but she sneaks in the affectionate act when you are not looking. The bottle fed doeling pen is right in front of Cammille's pen. Each day, as I bottle feed the girls, I feel the tips of a goat's ears lightly brushing across the top of my head. And I often get the chin laid on the top of my head as well. When I look up, I get the nose against nose...but wait...this is Cammille showing affection. She is slipping! :) Cammille, you cannot tell in this photo, is a big strong girl. One that will be with me on the farm as long as I can take care of goats, and as long as the good Lord allows her to remain here. Her daughter, pictured in my blog post on 3/21/09, is a beauty as well, even though she is the product of a nubian/boer breeding, I am strongly considering raising her as a dairy goat. A gift to me!

If you can stand some more goat talk. I have to tell you the youngster story behind Cammille. She is fondly nic-named "Snake Eyes." When she was young she would get this "look" in her eyes, and she would stand very still and quiet as the look crossed her face. The next thing you knew she would head butt every animal around here, hence the nic-name, the sneaky little doeling, Cammille!

Anyhow, that is my goat talk for the day.

Have a good evening!

6 comments:

Shelby said...

ohhhh love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Aren't goats fun!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Cute story. Atleast you could "read" her and know when to get outta the way.

Boozy Tooth said...

A chin laid on top of your head? I can't stand it. I'm coming to kidnap (kid-nap... kid... get it?) Cammille!

Don't say you weren't warned.

KathyB. said...

How capricious your caprine is!A funny and endearing goat. She would be a keeper in my herd for sure! She is beautiful too.

Mary Humphrey said...

Thank you. She is a dandy, and I think she knows. :)