Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Time For A Change

Just as the tide rolls in and out, so does the need for change.


Regarding everything that I do on a routine basis, a few of my friends have asked, "What is your secret, how do you do it all?," "How do you take a vacation, or do you?," and have said, "You are a worker!"


I do not try to do it all, I try to not do it all. As soon as the kidding season has just about ended on our farm, or even when something has changed that requires new steps in life, for example, I always begin to clear my mind and figure out what to do next.


I recently had a wonderful email conversation with a trusted friend regarding a change in my life that was not easy. The change involved something that I had held onto for a number of years, and it had become clear to me to let it go, however something held me back each time I tossed that thought around. It consumed time and energy that I could no longer afford. Once I made that change I felt complete relief, peace, even a sense of liberation. In the email response from my friend, she quoted my own words back to me, I have lost my go-juice for it all. I need something new in my life, and I need to let some things go. Sometimes we have to put the emotional side of things behind us. And sometimes what drags us down is right in front of our noses. When we wake up, we have to move on!


Bingo!


To keep a balance in my life, I determine what is most important, what must be accomplished from day to day, and I weed out the rest. I hope to never let emotions hold me back so badly in the future. Emotions are not always reality. Yes, they hold a certain degree of wisdom, but facts are facts. And I have said it once, and will say it again, we have to lead ourselves down our own paths in life. Do what is right for ourselves financially, physically, socially, spiritually, and mentally. You will find peace. I did.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, it's always nice to have a change!

KathyB. said...

Good for you! If you take time to think through your obligations , jobs, and most importantly,passions and family joys , and finally decide on what to let go of...and let it go responsibly ( leaving no one in the lurch ) then there is no guilt to feel. You are off to a fresh start on what is important in your life!

I also long ago realized that even when there were jobs I had taken on (that people said could only be done by me) were completely able to be done by others! Kind of gives me a punch in the gut to think I sacrificed some pretty special things ( family type ) for positions and jobs that did not matter so much in the grand scheme of things. And that is why I tend to think a LOT longer and harder before taking on new responsibilities now. Took me half a century to learn this too!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

good philosophy because I am one to hold on and never forget, never let go.

Twisted Fencepost said...

I can completely relate to this post. It's good to know I am not alone in this thinking.

Vickie said...

Amen to that! Been there, done that. You waste alot of time and energy holding onto past pain and disappointment and grudges and even guilt. Good for you. God can help you move forward and let go. Don't look back!

Jennifer said...

A very well written post. You expressed some very wise and thought provoking points in it.