Sunday, April 5, 2009

Not A Machine


On this beautiful Sunday I have several things in the works. Part of which is good old housework (that I never get much done, and I realize it cannot be a priority), catching up with people, and feeding newborn dairy goats. Yes, it is busy, and I am tired. What am I going to do about it? Write some thoughts here, head for a power nap, and then tend to the animals. I do all of this because I want to. It is not a burden. If a part of this were a burden, I would be figuring out how to make it what it should be, a joy.


Something has been on my mind. I am not an expert, but I still feel the need to write when something sways me. I never want to lead anyone down the wrong path. Honestly, I am not trying to lead anyone, period. But when I feel strongly, I write.


A few days ago, after I said to a wonderful lady that I am close to that I was swamped, but happy, doing what I want to do, the person replied to me, "I feel like a machine." It saddened me that someone would feel like a machine.


We are not machines, we were created to be human. We started our lives without a care, but we were made to grow, to think, but not to work so hard that we do not exist inside. When we feel like a machine we are lacking something. And it often means we need some "me time." "Me time" could be an hour, a day, or even a regular time and place to ourselves.


Everyone deserves a hobby, or a task that makes them feel good about themselves. It will not be tasking work as long as you enjoy what you are doing. We all need healthy outlets. The outlet may be your own business (doing something that you are passionate about), exercising (and I need to do a LOT more deliberate exercise myself), time alone, sleep (but not too much)...or just doing something that uses your mind, stirs your inner-soul, and helps you to feel good about life again.


I am not going to preach, because I have no right to do that. I can only speak from my own heart. To wrap this up...if you find yourself feeling like something less than human from day to day, do something about it. Be happy. We can all do it! Serving others is not a bad thing, but make sure you serve yourself too! When I feel that weariness I begin to evaluate several things, such as, what do I need to give up? What do I need to do for myself? And what can I change? If I cannot change something for the better (and I do not try to change others), then I find a way to do what makes me feel happy otherwise. Do what is best for you, nobody else will do it for you, it is not their job!

Take care...and I hope you are having a beautiful Sunday too!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It always is nice to have those hobbies that you enjoy!

KathyB. said...

It is sad your friend feels that way. I have way too much going on all the time. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with all that I want to accomplish, but can't find enough time or energy for. But....I am also excited because my life is chock full of projects, people, and passions I enjoy immensely! I will probably leave my mortal shell with many , many projects and passions not quite finished, but I will not have been bored, or useless!

And in the last few years I have thoroughly enjoyed Sunday afternoon naps, without guilt!

Boozy Tooth said...

Lovely thoughts as usual, Mary. Thanks for always giving me something to think about and ponder. Your words are truly golden and make a difference to me.

And you're right, we were not created to be machines. If we feel that our lives have become so mechanical that we have lost our joy it is no one else's responsibility to lead us back to that joy, but our own selves. Thanks for the reminder. I hope your friend reads this post.

Love always....

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

well, coming to the office Mon-Fri seems robotic. I have a good job, hardly no stress, but I'm not working with my animals and on my land like I desire, office job takes me away from that. But mostly, I'm happy. Thanks for the good thoughts though.

Mary Humphrey said...

The person that sparked my thoughts is not a blog reader, in fact, she is my sister. When something moves me, I always have enjoyed writing.

I am glad my comments portrayed themselves in a positive manner. That was how it was meant.

Anonymous said...

A very thought-provoking post. I try hard to make myself and those I love very happy. God has given each of us so much to enjoy and be thankful for.