Friday, April 10, 2009

Organization and Cleanliness - Goat Milk Lotion


I have heard some lotion disaster stories lately, not very fun for the crafter, and thought I would help my fellow learning lotion makers just a tad here. And, for my friends and customers, you will get a hint as to how things are handled in my shop when formulating lotion.


For the lotion makers, it is all about organization and cleanliness।

When I make lotion I lay it all out beforehand, each and every ingredient and tool. The containers for the ingredients are scrupulously clean before I begin measuring ingredients. And before I work with the clean containers and tools in the shop, they are wiped down with clean towels soaked in alcohol.

The goat milk in my lotion is fresh and pasteurized.

Another hint, plastic lotion containers should not be reused. You can scrub, boil, soak, bleach, and cleanse with alcohol, and you will more than likely still find lovely unwanted growth in your fresh lotion batch when reusing plastic containers. Best to keep a stock of new containers on hand.

Never cap the lotion while the formula is still warm. This prevents water condensation from formingunder the cap. Before the product cools, shake it at least once (wear sterilized gloves or wipe the hands with alcohol first). Once the product cools, shake it once more before capping.







So to share some of the disaaster stories (I am sooo sorry), "My lotion exploded in the bottle," "There were specks of mold in the bottle after a week," eeewwww, "The product separated and I am not happy with it!" We all have batches that are not just right, I had one today. I will be purchasing new shea butter before any more lotion is made. Sometimes it goes grainy and is not suitable for lotion (but fine for soap), quality means everything. When making lotion, or any bath product, organization and cleanliness is key.

6 comments:

Arnita said...

Thanks for the post. That will help alot. I must say, I started with a pre made base. I just loved how it turned out. I didn't make lotion, I made a heavy cream. It was unscented. My family loves it. I made a yogurt lotion. This also from a pre made base. I hate it. To greasy. I will try again. But thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing.

Gioia Made Soap said...

Nice tutorial and... very realistic!

Jennifer said...

What a great, helpful post. Thank you. Just wanted to let you know I got your email. Didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. I will try to get to it asap, but right now I have GOT to go get those kidding stalls cleaned out for the next bunch of does that are due. Keep up the great posts, you have a wonderful blog.

Lomond Soap said...

Hi Mary, what a great post. Though I don't make creams and lotions I take the same approach with everything I make. There's no room for complacency when it comes to bacteria and moulds. And re your last post - guilty as charged! 6 tabs open, trying to sort out my wee world :) I need to chill, I promise I'll try.

KathyB. said...

This was a very informative and interesting post. Now I can picture you making the soap and lotion I have. It is good to know you're scrupulously clean and careful about making the product you put your farm name on!"A good name is to be more desired than great riches." Proverbs 21:1 but riches are nice too!